Thursday, March 25, 2010

Still Celebrating the Birthdays...


So far I've had a very juicy day, so it's a little hard to think solid food, but I'll give it a shot. Actually, this task is simplified by looking at the list of our customers' requests. It's kind of nice relying on "fate" to determine our meals - We get some pleasant surprises that way.

For starters in our juice today, Roger (he's our juice man) made all of us a cucumber juice. I like mine with a little sole in it. (This is Himalayan salt hunks in a water solution. It's very strong, so it only takes a tiny bit to flavor the juice making it nice and savory.) It's midday now, so before we think about lunch, he's making the regular green drink we have almost every day: cucumber, celery, apple, lemon, kale or spinach. It is amazing the boost we get from this. It makes my body and my brain very happy.

Our foodsaver died this week. What a bummer! We really depend on it to help us keep our food fresher for ourselves and for our customers. I guess I'll be ordering another one right away.


Speaking of gadgets that make our lives easier, today a pineapple slicer arrived. I have seen these in the marketplace for years, but I assumed they couldn't be any good, or I would have heard of one from somewhere. How wrong I was! This is now one of my favorite gadgets. We eat a lot of pineapple here, and we'll eat a lot more now that we have this. I couldn't believe how easy AND effective it is. Why didn't someone tell me about this before?

We had a fun experience last Sunday. Once a month the youth from our church have a meeting with the president of our church unit to go over the activities they would like to do for the month. Since it is the only time all of the youth are guaranteed to all be together along with their leaders, they designate this time as their monthly birthday party as well celebrating all the birthdays that occur for that given month. Since it was Alicia AND Wyatt's birthday this month in our church unit, Alicia asked if it would be ok for us to prepare the birthday treat for everyone. (Isn't she a sweetheart?) Of course, the leaders were more than happy to let her do that, so when she came home last month, she announced that we'd be preparing ice cream for the whole youth council in March. Okay.

Actually, when I make ice cream, I make a large batch of it, and I was thinking it might be enough. Roger cleaned the coconuts for it on Thursday, and Sunday morning I made the mix and filled the freezer. It was finished by the time I had to leave for church, so I packed it in plenty of ice and rock salt and hauled it to church. While it was freezing, I made some strawberry coolis (strawberries and agave nectar) from some of the yummy berries we got last week. I wish we could have gotten some pictures; it was truly beautiful AND delicious. The freezer came home almost empty, but there was enough for Roger and I to each have a banana split with some hot fudge I had working in the dehydrator just for the occasion. Oh my, oh my. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.

The ice cream is relatively easy to make; I think it is easier than most dairy ice creams I've made. First I made 6 cups of almond mylk from 2 cups of almonds that have been soaking. Then I mix this with 1 cup of agave nectar and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. It gets blended in thirds with pints of coconut meat, i.e. 6 cups of coconut meat, about 6 coconuts. That's it! I pour it in the ice cream freezer and pack ice and rock salt around it and allow the machine to run about 1/2 hour. It is so good and good for you.

I don't usually flavor the ice cream as I prefer having toppings on hand to add to it later. If we have any to put in the freezer for later, different toppings add a lot of variety. My favorite topping is one we call marshmallow, but that's another blog topic I'm sure you'll hear about later.

Guess I'd better share the meals with you. One of our customers loves soup, so we made quite a few for him this week. That will be reflected in our menus this week. As usual, breakfast is juice and/or fruit and/or green smoothies. The variety is infinite. You'll never be bored!

Our main meal is in the middle of the day around 1 or 2:00 usually, and then for dinner, if anyone is hungry (and the children are ALWAYS hungry), we have more fruit, veggies or fruit with a dip, everyday bread with some veggies on top, Hawaiian granola with or without some almond mylk, a smoothie, a bowl of ice cream, or something leftover from another meal. Here's our main courses for the week:


Mashed no-taters with "roasted" veggies on top

Chili con crema, corny chips

Viva La Verde Salad with pickled beets (these beets are so good mixed with ranch dressing)

Broccoli cheese soup, everyday bread

Veggie soup, Alicia crackers

Veggie Lasagna: zucchini slices layered with spinach dip and marinated broccoli

Elote con crema stuffed inside avocado boats; ensalada

Our desserts this week: coconut cream pie; chocolate puddin'; fruit pie with fresh strawberries, blueberries, banana, pineapple; pumpkin pie; and rawky road

I'm kinda working on a chocolate pie that has the texture of the key lime pie that I love. Also working on a brownie type application. I haven't liked any I've had in any raw restaurants. Of course, I'll post it on here when I get it figured out.

Thanks to all our customers who inspire us to do more and more. You keep us going! We love you all so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment